Monday, March 29, 2010

Google Making One Author Stupid

Nicholas Carr is definately getting stupider because of Google. Or else, he wouldn't have written this article. I understand the notion that the ease with which information can be obtained these days may shorten attention spans, but I don't think it's making us stupid. It's making us smarter.

How can you possibly be worse off for being able to look up anything, at any time, with just a couple clicks of a mouse?  A thought pops into your head, and you can look it up and instantly know more about that topic.

The internet isn't meant for long, drawn-out arguments. Computers aren't books. You can't fold them, crease them, underline something on the screen with your fingernail. It's hard to read long blocks of text online with no break.

That's why I just broke. Read a book, and it's a different story. I can still read books. I just use a little thing called concentration. Come on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment