Mortenson told the story of how he had set out to climb K2 in Pakistan, the second-tallest mountain in the world, but ended up lost and dehydrated. Locals in Korphe, a tiny Pakistani village, helped him recover. He got to know them as friends, and noticed that children in the village had no formal school to go to.
He has since helped build 78 schools for over 33,000 Pakistani and Afghan children.
"When I saw those children sitting in the dirt, I made a promise to myself that I was going to help them [build a school]," Mortenson said.
Hearing Greg Mortenson speak at Quinnipiac, I am going to make a promise too. I promise that I am going to help leave this world a better place. I'm going to do something that will make a difference. No question about it. Thanks, Mr. Mortenson, for inspiring me to give more.

Greg Mortenson's visit to QU was
inspirational, to say the least. Photo
credit: http://www.brazosbookstore.com/event/mortenson-luncheon
No comments:
Post a Comment